FPOC Golf Tournament at The Winged Pheasant Golf Links! Saturday, September 30. Recruit a foursome or sign up individually, and join other Family Promise friends and supporters for a beautiful day of golf! The cost is $90 per person or $360 per team for a round of golf, a cart, lunch, and dinner! Please share this opportunity widely, to those who might like to play (or just come for dinner), and to any local businesses or clubs who might like to be sponsors! For information, visit https://birdease.com/familypromise or scan this QR code!
Night Without a Bed – Saturday, October 21! Plan to spend the night away from your own snug bed in recognition of those families who lack a safe place to lay their heads. Individuals, youth groups, service clubs and congregations around the country will sacrifice a comfortable night of sleep to raise awareness about the scourge of family homelessness.
Amazing Bed Race Recap!
Our first live Bed Race since the pandemic was a rousing success! Nine teams representing five congregations and four civic organizations competed for glory on July 25 at The Land of Legends Speedway, on opening night of the Ontario County Fair. The event raised over $25,000 to support FPOC’s mission, almost evenly split between local business sponsors and bed race team fundraisers.
- We express our appreciation to the following sponsors who contributed more than $13,000 to our mission!
- Title Sponsor: Glover Crask Charitable Trust, who provided a $5000 matching sponsorship
- Pit Crew Sponsors: Integrated Systems, Wegmans, Allied Financial Partners, East Bloomfield UMC
- Grandstand Race Fan Sponsors: LNB Banking, Canandaigua Veterinary Hospital, The JD Chapman Agency, Thrivent, Velmex Inc, Karl Rosengren, Joseph & Jeanne Guastaferro
- Advertising Sponsors: UR Medicine/Thompson Hospital, Tall Trainer Fitness Systems,
- Friend Sponsors: Farmington Veterinary Hospital, AG Paving, Inc., Folkcraft and Flora Apothecary, The Ontario County Bar Association, Northwestern Mutual/Constantino Financial, Barnes Law, Bauer’s Garage
Thank you, Bed Race Fundraiser Teams! Nine teams from Ontario County congregations and civic organizations put in countless hours designing, building, testing, and racing their beds, and seeking donations… and raised more than $11,500 toward our mission.
- Over $4000:Lady Liberty (The Ontario County Democratic Committee)
- Over $1000: Race Judicata (The Ontario County Bar Association), Sleep Tight (First Congregational Church of Canandaigua), The Presbyterian Pirates (Presbyterian Church in Geneva), Bloomfield Rotary Racers (The Bloomfield Rotary Club)
- Over $100: The Trinity Trolls (Trinity Federated Church of Naples), Speed Demons (St. John’s Lutheran Church in Victor), Bryant’s Hoopsters (First Presbyterian Church of Victor), American Dreams (The Ontario County Republican Party)
Bed Race Results:
- Grand Champion: Speed Demons, St. John’s Lutheran Church in Victor
- Fundraising Champion: Lady Liberty, Ontario County Democratic Committee – $4543.52
- Sunday Driver Division Winner: Lady Liberty
- Hot Wheels Division Winner: Bryant’ Hoopsters, First Presbyterian Church in Victor
- Road Hogs Division Winner: Speed Demons
- Judges’ Best Bed Award: Lady Liberty
FPOC is grateful to the sponsors, bed race teams, staff, board members, and volunteers who made the 2023 Amazing Bed Race a spirited, fun, and financially rewarding event. We look forward to doing it again next year, with more beds and more excitement!
Congregational Support Schedule
Thanks to generous support from many congregations, we are still in good shape with gas and grocery gift cards. Our greatest need is cash to pay rent, utilities, and staff wages. During and after the pandemic, 26 congregations have continued to provide financial assistance in support of our mission to end family homelessness in Ontario County. We ask each of these congregations to step up twice a year, to the degree that they can help. Here’s the upcoming support schedule. If you’ve already contributed, thank you! FPCV week is first week of September!
- Aug 13 Willowbrook
- Aug 20 Zion Fellowship
- Aug 27 Farmington Friends
- Sept 3 First Presbyterian Church in Victor
- Sep 10 First UMC Geneva
- Sep 17 First Baptist Manchester
- Sep 24 First Congregational Canandaigua
Volunteer / Support Opportunities – Call Jay!
- Weekly yard and garden work at our Chapin Street house (It’s a very small yard with a lawn mower on site.)
- We need volunteers to staff tables at the following events:
- Victor Days, Saturday, September 9, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Ionia Fall Festival, Saturday, September 16, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Climb Aboard Victor, September 16, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Volunteer to help with our first annual golf tournament on September 30! Visit https://birdease.com/familypromise for details.
Please contact either myself (370-0839) or Jay (905-3988) at FP to get more information or volunteer. You can mail checks or food/gas cards to Family Promise 185 North Main Street Canandaigua 14424.
Thanks, Rich Cromwell